Monday, April 12, 2010

New Orleans in 4 Hours


So after meetings on Friday and Saturday, and a flight Sunday evening, all said and done I had about 4 hours in downtown New Orleans. Parking near the aquarium, first thing first, was stopping to do a little souvenir shopping. I bought some sweet potato muffin mix, BBQ Shrimp Boil seasoning, and a deck of cards for KW. Then it was off Cafe Du Monde on Decatur Street for beignets and hot chocolate (my travelling companions wanted the traditional chicory coffee, but I don't drink coffee so I'd have to pass). There was quite a line to eat there, but it didn't matter because there were awesome street musicians right outside.




After the beignets wet our appetite, we were on the prowl for a main course. We were in luck, because the French Quarter Festival was going on in Jackson Square right across the street. There were art vendors all around the square, and yummy food inside. After looking around for a bit, I decided on a goat cheese crepe with crawfish creme sauce and shrimp stuffing. It was a little pricey, but I was on per diem, and it the food looked delicious. It was extremely scrumptious!

 

After lunch, we meandered through the crowded streets, stopping in little shops, watching street performers, and eventually ending up on the infamous Bourbon Street. 

 

Once on Bourbon Street we decided it was time for a Hurricane. We decided to find somewhere with balcony seating; one, for the full view of the street and two, to get above the stench of ground level of the street. The Hurricanes were decent, but sitting in the sun, having some good conversation and people watching was great. 

 

 

After settling up our bill, we headed back to the car, I dropped of my co-workers who were staying in town, and I headed on my way to the airport. It was a quick tour of the city--and I know I only scratched the surface--but New Orleans seems like a great city, rich in history and big on fun! 



1 comment:

  1. I didn't know you went to nola.....its great fun....cafe du monde is a MUST! Jackson square is always a fun spot with the metallic street actors.....next time you go, hit me up I can give you the scoop on where to eat, drink, play, see.....bourbon street is my least favorite spot but you have to see it at least once! I'm so excited for you...looks as if you were there a few weeks after us.....we should plan a couples trip there when we are doing better!

    ReplyDelete