Saturday, November 6, 2010

Pumpkin 911

So Earth 911 had a recent article about uses for pumpkins after Halloween. I was then inspired to do a few of the ideas with the uncarved pumpkins I had at home.

1) Pumpkin Puree. I cut open my large pumpkin scooped out the seeds and guts (for later), then put each half on a cookie sheet with a lip on it and about a cup of water on each tray. Then popped them in the oven on 350 degrees for 90 minutes and took them out. After they cooled a little I scooped the soft pumpkin out of the middle and put it into my blender and pureed. Now I have pumpkin puree to use for the next little bit and believe me I have some good ideas for it. (I, of course, composted the pumpkin shell after.)

2) Pumpkin Seeds. Put pumpkin seeds on a cookie sheet with some extra virgin olive oil, salt and an Italian blend of spices. Baked for about 25 minutes on 350 degrees, mixing the seeds around about half way through. Yummy, yummy, yummy.

3) Pumpkin Stock. I put all my pumpkin guts in a big stock pot with water and let it boil until the water turned orange. Then I strand the guts out of the stock, and put them in the compost bin. I'll use the stock later--in soups and hot dishes--like veggie stock. This actually made quite a bit, so ended up dividing it into 5 smaller containers; I'm keeping one in the fridge and freezing the other four to take out one by one.

The 911 article was great, so check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment