Sunday, January 1, 2012

My last project of 2011

So this was my first attempt at recovering a seat to a chair. This is something I helped my mom with once upon a time, I've seen on numerous TV shows, but never tried myself. Actually it's pretty easy, it's kinda like wrapping a present...in fabric...with a staple gun. Here's the break down--

1) Take an old chair. (I scored this one at a thrift store for $5.) Unscrew the seat from the legs.

I liked the chair right away, but the fabric just wasn't for me. 

2) Remove old fabric. Cut new fabric to about an 1-2 inches of overlap. I did two inches, but after it was all said and done I realized it didn't need to more than an inch of overlap. And, I actually cut the new fabric and a white piece of muslin, so I was attaching two layers to the chair. (I got my new fabric from Hobby Lobby with a gift card from the holidays; 2010 holidays to be exact.) Tip: When cutting the fabric make sure that you are getting the part of the pattern where you want it on the seat. 

3) Start by stapling a single staple in the "north" and "south". Fabric should be taut, but not stretched. 


4) Now do the same on the "east" and "west" side of the seat. Flip it over and take a peek. 

5) On to the corners. Staple the very corner at a diagonal. Again pull taut but do not stretch. 


6) Neatly pull to the left and right of the corner up, and staple. 


7) Finish up by stapling all along the edges, filling in from the corners to the first staples from steps 3 and 4. 

8) Reattach seat to chair, in this case with screws. 

While I did the re-upholstery, my hubby gave the chair a good cleaning with wood cleaner. Here's the end product...




Boom! A new chair I love for about $5. Perfect to go by the shoe and coat closet to put on those winter boots. 



No comments:

Post a Comment