Monday, January 24, 2011

For the health of it!

Have you ever read the magazine Real Simple? If you haven't, I would highly recommend it; very cool read for anyone enjoys home, hobbies and food. In the February 2011 issue, there is an article entitled "10 ideas for: smoothies". There are some delicious ideas in there, and since I am trying to be more health conscious these days, I tried one the other night. It was a spinach, grape and coconut smoothie. (It wasn't the one that sounded the most delicious, just the one I had the ingredients for.) It was surprisingly very yummy. I could mostly taste the grapes, and unfortunately, this isn't the time of year for grapes. The drink was overall, quite tart...but with sweeter grapes, it would probably be an even tastier drink.


Here's the recipe: 

1 cup seedless grapes (rich source of vitamin A, C, B6 & folate and other good for you stuff. Read more.)
1 cup packed baby spinach (good for everything, cause its a super veggie. Read more.)
1/2 cup ice
1/4 cup coconut milk (another superfood!, tons of electolytes. Read more here.)

Blend until smooth and frothy. 

Here's the nutritional info: 

232 calories; 12g fat; 49mg sodium; 3g protein; 33g carbohydrates; 25g sugar; 3g fiber; 3mg iron; 43mg calcium.

Well, one down, nine to go. I'll post if I try any of the other smoothies from the article. 

No comments:

Post a Comment